US Builders Review, a magazine for leading construction executives, has featured a story about the adaptive reuse of West Virginia Capitol Office Building 3 on the cover of its latest issue.
Built in the early 1950’s, West Virginia Capitol Office Building 3 originally housed the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles.
Paramount Builders and architecture firm PWWG worked together to preserve and restore this Charleston landmark located directly across from the West Virginia state capitol dome. The project had an important goal of maintaining the building’s distinctive historic character as it was modernized for functionality.
Architects worked with the West Virginia State Historic Preservation Office and the Capitol Building Commission to identify important components of the building that define its historic character. They noted exterior elements including the limestone and granite façade, bronze windows, and the building’s distinctive clay tile roof that sets it apart from other buildings in the capitol complex.
Paramount Builders selected Tri-State Roofing & Sheet Metal to install new matching clay tiles from the manufacturer of the original product, Ludowici Roof Tile Company.
With a goal of LEED Silver guiding its design, the building is a modern, well-functioning office space that has retained its defining historic character.